Hulu Advertising Manager Terms
Effective date: April 22, 2020
These Hulu Advertising Manager Terms (“Ad Manager Terms”) are entered into by Hulu and the business entity accessing or using Hulu’s Ad Manager Tool located at https://admanager.hulu.com (“Advertiser”). These Ad Manager Terms govern access and use of the Ad Manager Tool, including account creation, purchase of advertising inventory, and the display of those Ads on the Hulu website or application. As the individual acting on behalf of Advertiser (“You”), You represent and warrant that You have the authority to agree to these Ad Manager Terms and to use the Ad Manager Tool on Advertiser’s behalf.
1. Ad Manager Tool Account and Usage.
To access and use the Ad Manager Tool, Advertiser must provide and update the information needed to create and maintain an account. Hulu reserves the right, at any time, to:
- Confirm that You are authorized to act on behalf of Advertiser.
- Verify that Advertiser is in good standing.
- Otherwise validate Advertiser, including via credit reports, industry classification, corporate filings, etc. If Hulu is unable to do so, it may refuse or revoke access to the Ad Manager Tool. Advertiser may authorize individuals to access and use its account, but Advertiser is responsible for any and all activity related to the account.
The Ad Manager Tool may not be used for any purposes that are not expressly permitted by these Ad Manager Terms or are otherwise prohibited under applicable law, including any activity that interferes with or disrupts, damages, disables, or otherwise impairs the Ad Manager Tool (or the connected servers and networks). Hulu reserves the right to revoke, restrict, or suspend access to the Ad Manager Tool at any time without notice or liability, if Hulu determines or reasonably believes Advertiser has breached these Ad Manager Terms, violated any law, rule, or regulation, engaged in other inappropriate conduct, or for any other business reason.
Advertiser grants Hulu a non-exclusive, non-transferable (except as provided herein) right and license to reproduce, distribute, perform and display its Ad(s) on the Hulu website or application during the designated campaign period on or via any device as set forth in these Ad Manager Terms.
Except as required by law or to comply with the request of a governmental entity, Advertiser will not use Hulu’s name, trademarks, service marks, logos or other identifiers (collectively, “Trademarks”), or make any reference to Hulu or its Trademarks in any manner including, without limitation, customer facing materials and press releases, without the prior written approval of Hulu.
3. Ads and Campaigns.
- Submission and Approval. An Ad must be approved by Hulu before the campaign may begin and impressions may be delivered. Approval includes both compliance with all Technical Specifications and the Advertising Policies described below. “Ad” means any materials, including without limitation any artwork, written text, images, trademarks, logos, service marks, video, audio, data files, URLs, or any other intellectual property or content, submitted by Advertiser via the Ad Manager Tool. An Ad must be submitted for Hulu approval via the Ad Manager Tool no later than 3 business days before the scheduled campaign start date. However, any modifications required for the Ad to comply with Technical Specifications and Advertising Policies may take additional time; to avoid delays, an Ad should be submitted as soon as possible. It is Advertiser’s responsibility to regularly check the status of an Ad, including whether it has been approved, rejected, or is in need of modification, within the Ad Manager Tool. In the event that no Ad has been approved before the campaign start date, Hulu will automatically pause the campaign. If a campaign begins later than its scheduled start date, the end date will not be adjusted, and the number of impressions delivered during the campaign may be reduced. A campaign will be automatically canceled in the event that no Ad is uploaded and approved prior to the scheduled campaign end date. Advertiser should maintain a back-up of any Ad(s) (and related data) submitted via the Ad Manager Tool. Hulu has no obligation to store, retrieve, or return any Ad(s) to Advertiser.
- Delivery. To create a campaign via the Ad Manager Tool, Advertiser will upload an Ad and will designate the budget, targeting criteria, and any other information Hulu may request. Once an Ad is approved and the campaign begins, Hulu will deliver the Ad via the Hulu website or application as inventory becomes available or as otherwise agreed to by Advertiser and Hulu pursuant to a separate signed agreement. Hulu will determine the size, placement, and positioning of Ad(s) in its sole discretion. Hulu makes no commitments regarding the video content during which an Ad may be displayed or where it appears in relation to other Ad(s) (i.e. the Ad may appear immediately preceding or following an ad for a competitive service or product). Additionally, Hulu cannot guarantee:
- Delivery of all (or any) of the Ad impressions reflected in a campaign’s budget.
- The performance of Ads or campaigns.
- That Ads will reach the audience targeted.
- That Ads will run on any particular device or subset of devices.
- Advertising Policies. All Ads are subject to Hulu review and approval. Hulu may block, reject, revoke, or remove any Ad for any reason at any time, including if Hulu determines an Ad is inconsistent with Hulu’s business practices, strategy, standards, or brand. Hulu does not accept issue, electoral, or political Ads through the Ad Manager Tool. Hulu is not responsible for Advertiser’s costs associated with producing or modifying an Ad. Advertiser agrees that it will not upload, submit, display, or otherwise use the Ad Manager Tool in order to transmit or display any Ads advertising, promoting, containing, comprising, or linking to materials that:
- Contain, promote, or constitute defamatory, libelous, misleading, fraudulent, obscene, distasteful, offensive, harassing, or harmful content.
- Contain, promote, or constitute pornography or sexually explicit content.
- Contain, promote, or constitute hateful or discriminatory content.
- Contain, promote or glorify violence.
- Contain or promote criminal activities.
- Contain spyware, malware or other harmful code.
- Contain profane or obscene language.
- Infringe or violate the rights of others (including copyright, trademark, trade secret, privacy and/or publicity rights).
- Violate any law or regulation governing false or deceptive advertising, sweepstakes, illegal gambling, or trade disparagement.
- Promote products and/or service related to e-cigarettes, firearms, or illegal substances.
- Promote products and/or services that could be construed as competitive to Hulu’s business.
- May be deemed to improperly associate Advertiser or its Ad(s) with Hulu.
Hulu reserves its right to: (1) require modifications to an Ad before approval and to require modifications to any previously-approved Ad; (2) require factual support for any statements or claims in connection with an Ad; (3) reject any Ad in which the product or service could adversely affect the interests of Hulu, its users or the community generally; (4) revoke approval of an Ad; and (5) waive or make exceptions to the Advertising Policies described in this Section.
Advertiser, not Hulu, is responsible for ensuring that its Ad(s) comply with all applicable laws, regulations, and industry guidelines, as well as the Advertising Policies. Hulu’s approval of an Ad should not be construed as its endorsement of that Ad; the accuracy, content, and obligation to honor any commitments or representations made in connection with the Ad(s) are Advertiser’s alone.
- Targeting. Hulu may provide Advertiser the option to target an Ad to a desired audience based on certain criteria. Advertiser is solely responsible for appropriately using the Ad Manager Tool to select its targeting preferences. Hulu does not guarantee that Ads will reach the audience targeted. Advertiser may choose whether and in what combination to use targeting criteria, provided that it is Advertiser’s sole responsibility to do so in compliance with applicable law and industry standards. For example, there may be instances in which Advertiser is required to use or refrain from using certain targeting criteria in order to comply with applicable law or industry standards (e.g. if Advertiser is promoting an alcohol product, Advertiser should only target audiences 21 years and older). If the required targeting criteria is not available, do not submit the campaign. In the absence of any targeting criteria, Ad(s) will be served in available inventory at Hulu’s discretion.
- Reporting. Hulu will provide industry-standard reporting about the performance of Advertiser’s on-going campaigns. Hulu is under no obligation to provide Advertiser with additional detail regarding the performance of an Ad or any other aspects of the campaign. Among other things, Hulu will not identify the specific piece(s) of content during which an Ad was delivered, the specific demographics for viewers of an Ad, or the air times during which an Ad was displayed.
- Cancellation, Pause, Suspension and Campaign End. Hulu reserves the right to cancel, pause, or suspend any campaign in its sole discretion.Advertiser may cancel a campaign at any time via the Ad Manager Tool. For cancellation to be effective, Advertiser must cancel through the Ad Manager Tool. If a campaign is cancelled, impressions will stop being delivered. Advertiser will be charged for all impressions delivered, including any delivered during the short period while the cancellation request is processed; no refunds will be issued. Upon cancellation of a campaign or campaign end, the licenses granted in these Ad Manager Terms will expire immediately. Some content may persist for a period of time, and the licenses granted by Advertiser to Hulu in these Ad Manager Terms will extend for those purposes.Advertiser may also pause a campaign at any time via the Ad Manager Tool. If a campaign is paused, impressions will stop being delivered. Advertiser will be charged for all impressions delivered, including any delivered during the short period while the pause request is processed; no refunds will be issued. Advertiser may resume the campaign at any time before the scheduled end date. Pausing a campaign will not modify the scheduled campaign end date, and the number of impressions delivered during the campaign may be reduced.
- Payment Method. Advertiser must provide a credit card or alternative payment instrument accepted by Hulu (“Payment Method”) in order to submit a campaign via the Ad Manager Tool. Hulu or its payment processor(s) may run payment authorization checks in order to validate the Payment Method. To avoid campaign interruptions, the expiration date associated with the Payment Method should occur after the scheduled end date of any campaigns. By providing a Payment Method, Advertiser authorizes Hulu or its payment processor(s) to charge that Payment Method for all amounts due (including applicable taxes) in connection with any campaigns submitted through the Ad Manager Tool. Advertiser may update its Payment Method at any time, and Hulu may automatically update the Payment Method using a payment card updater service.
- Budget. Advertiser will set a maximum budgeted dollar amount to be spent or the desired number of impressions to be delivered over the course of a campaign. Hulu will not charge the Payment Method associated with the account for more than this budgeted amount but may charge less than the budgeted amount based on the number of impressions delivered during the campaign period.
- Billing Period. Hulu will begin to charge the Payment Method associated with the account after the campaign starts for any impressions delivered. The amount owed will be calculated based solely on Hulu’s measurements. Each billing period will cover the time between scheduled billing dates; see our Billing FAQ for more information. Billing dates may vary, including for example in the event of any processing delays, if a campaign is paused or suspended, or if no impressions are delivered. Hulu will provide a billing confirmation detailing the amount and date for each charge associated with a campaign.
- Payment Failures. If Hulu is unable to successfully charge the Payment Method associated with the account, the campaign will be suspended or paused and impressions will stop being delivered. Hulu may retry charging the Payment Method. In the event Advertiser does not provide a new Payment Method before the scheduled campaign end date, the campaign will be cancelled. Advertiser remains obligated to pay Hulu for any impressions delivered and agrees to pay all amounts due. ADVERTISER IS RESPONSIBLE FOR PAYING ALL AMOUNTS BILLED TO THE PAYMENT METHOD ASSOCIATED WITH THE ACCOUNT. Hulu may terminate any current or future campaigns and take steps to collect past due amounts; Advertiser will pay all reasonable associated costs and expenses (including reasonable attorneys’ fees).
- Account Codes/Credits. Hulu may, in its sole discretion, provide a code, credit, coupon, or other form of discount in an amount and on terms and restrictions as provided by Hulu. Account codes, credits, coupons, or other discounts are non-transferable and may not be redeemed for cash. If Advertiser’s account is cancelled, Advertiser will forfeit any account codes, credits, coupons, or other discounts.
- Refunds. Advertiser will not be refunded any amounts paid to Hulu, and Advertiser agrees to pay Hulu for any impressions delivered as of the campaign start date.
5. Data and Privacy.
- Usage. Except as expressly permitted by Hulu in writing, and subject to any restrictions set forth in these Ad Manager Terms, Advertiser may only use Ad Data for the purpose of:
- Optimizing campaigns.
- Assessing the effectiveness and performance of campaigns.
- Planning campaigns.
- Any other use of Ad Data is expressly prohibited.
For the purposes of these Ad Manager Terms, “Ad Data” means any data that is accessed, viewed, received, or derived by Advertiser or otherwise provided or made available to Advertiser in connection with the Ad Manager Tool, including any campaign reporting, performance metrics, and any data or information available within the Ad Manager Tool. Advertiser acknowledges and agrees that Advertiser is only permitted to access and view Ad Data in an aggregated and anonymous manner and shall promptly notify Hulu if Advertiser accesses, views, receives, or is otherwise provided any Ad Data in an individualized (i.e., de-aggregated, de-anonymized) manner.
- Restrictions. Except as otherwise permitted in these Ad Manager Terms, Advertiser will not and will not attempt to:
- Create compilations or combinations of Ad Data.
- Commingle Ad Data with other data or across advertising campaigns on platforms other than Hulu.
- Disclose, sell, rent, transfer, or provide access to Ad Data to any affiliate, third party, ad network, ad exchange, advertising broker, or other advertising service.
- Associate Ad Data with any identifiable person or user.
- Use Ad Data for retargeting a user or appending data to a profile regarding a user.
- Build, create, develop, augment, supplement, or assist with the building, creation, development, augmentation, or supplementation of any segments, profiles, or similar records on any user, device, or browser.
- Disaggregate or de-anonymize, or attempt to disaggregate, de-anonymize, or otherwise reverse engineer Ad Data.
6. Representations and Warranties.
- Advertiser’s Representations and Warranties. Advertiser represents and warrants that:
- Advertiser holds all the rights, power, and authority necessary to grant the license described in these Ad Manager Terms.
- All information provided by Advertiser in connection with the Ad Manager Tool is and will remain complete, correct, and current.
- The use and display of the Ad(s) will not violate any applicable laws or the intellectual property rights of any third party.
- Your Representations and Warranties. You represent and warrant that:
- You are authorized to, and do, bind Advertiser to these Ad Manager Terms.
- All of Your actions in connection with Ad Manager Tool are and will be within the scope of the agency or employment relationship between You and Advertiser, and in accordance with any applicable law. If for any reason you have not bound Advertiser to these Ad Manager Terms, You will be liable for Advertiser’s obligations and breach under these Ad Manager Terms.
7. Modifications and Termination.
Hulu may modify these Ad Manager Terms by posting to https://home.admanager.hulu.com/terms/. Any changes to these Ad Manager Terms will become effective on the earlier of Ad Manager Tool account creation or, for existing Advertisers, seven (7) days after posting. Notwithstanding the foregoing, any changes specific to new functionality or changes required by law will be effective immediately upon posting.
Hulu may modify, suspend, terminate access to, or discontinue the availability of the Ad Manager Tool at any time in its sole discretion. All continuing rights and obligations under these Ad Manager Terms will survive cancellation of Advertiser’s Ad Manager Tool account.
8. Limitation of Liability and Indemnity.
IN NO EVENT WILL HULU OR ITS AFFILIATES, SUCCESSORS, AND ASSIGNS, AND EACH OF THEIR RESPECTIVE INVESTORS, DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, THIRD PARTY SERVICE PROVIDERS (INCLUDING THOSE WHO HELP ADMINISTER AND OPERATE THE BETA PROGRAM), AGENTS, AND SUPPLIERS (INCLUDING DISTRIBUTORS AND CONTENT LICENSORS) (COLLECTIVELY, THE “HULU PARTIES”) BE LIABLE UNDER ANY LEGAL THEORY FOR ANY SPECIAL, INDIRECT, CONSEQUENTIAL, EXEMPLARY OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES, HOWEVER CAUSED, ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING TO THE AD MANAGER TOOL, DELIVERY OF AD(S) VIA THE HULU WEBSITE OR APPLICATIONS, OUR RELATIONSHIP, OR THESE AD MANAGER TERMS, EVEN IF THE HULU PARTIES HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. THE TOTAL CUMULATIVE LIABILITY OF THE HULU PARTIES FOR ALL CLAIMS, LOSSES, DAMAGES AND EXPENSES SHALL NOT EXCEED THE TOTAL PAID BY ADVERTISER IN THE 6 MONTHS PRECEDING THE CLAIM. CERTAIN STATE LAWS DO NOT ALLOW LIMITATIONS ON IMPLIED WARRANTIES OR THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF CERTAIN DAMAGES. IF THESE LAWS APPLY TO ADVERTISER, SOME OR ALL OF THE ABOVE DISCLAIMERS, EXCLUSIONS, OR LIMITATIONS MAY NOT APPLY. NOTHING IN THESE TERMS SHALL AFFECT ANY NON-WAIVABLE STATUTORY RIGHTS.
- Advertiser’s Agreement to Indemnify. Advertiser agrees to indemnify, defend, and hold harmless the Hulu Parties from and against any and all claims, actions, judgments, damages, liabilities, costs, and expenses, including reasonable attorneys’ fees and costs, arising out of or related to any third-party claim relating in any way to:
- The actual or alleged breach of these Ad Manager Terms, including the representations and warranties above.
- The content or submission of any Ad(s) provided by Advertiser to Hulu, including any product or services provided by a third party in connection with the Ad Manager Tool.
- Any actions taken by individuals with access to Advertiser’s account that relate to the Ad Manager Tool.
- Your Agreement to Indemnify. You agree to indemnify, defend, and hold harmless the Hulu Parties from and against any and all claims, actions, judgments, damages, liabilities, costs, and expenses, including reasonable attorneys’ fees and costs, arising out of or related to any third-party claim relating in any way to:
- The actual or alleged breach of these Ad Manager Terms, including the representations and warranties above.
- The content or submission of any Ad(s) provided to Hulu, including any product or services provided by a third party in connection with the Ad Manager Tool.
9. Arbitration of Claims.
PLEASE READ THIS CAREFULLY. Should You or Advertiser and Hulu have a dispute, the parties will attempt in good faith for at least 30 days to resolve any controversy or claim arising out of or relating to these Ad Manager Terms or use of the Ad Manager Tool. If these discussions are unsuccessful, and the parties cannot resolve the dispute informally as provided above, any unresolved dispute, claim or controversy arising out of or relating to use of the Ad Manager Tool or these Ad Manager Terms or the breach, termination, enforcement, interpretation or validity thereof, including the determination of the scope or applicability of this agreement to arbitrate, shall be determined by arbitration in Los Angeles County, California pursuant to the JAMS Comprehensive Arbitration Rules and Procedures. The parties shall mutually select a neutral arbitrator.
If the parties cannot agree on such arbitrator, each party shall select one neutral arbitrator, and those two arbitrators shall then select a third neutral arbitrator to solely preside over the proceedings. Unless the parties agree otherwise, the neutral arbitrator will be a former or retired judge or justice of any California state or federal court with substantial experience in matters involving the entertainment industry. As an exception to this arbitration agreement, Hulu is happy to provide the right to pursue in small claims court any claim that is within that court’s jurisdiction as long as You and/or Advertiser proceeds only on an individual basis. You, Advertiser and Hulu agree to arbitrate in an individual capacity only, not as a representative or member of a class, and each of us expressly waives any right to file a class action or seek relief on a class basis. The arbitrator will provide a detailed written statement of decision, which will be part of the arbitration award and admissible in any judicial proceeding to confirm, correct or vacate the award.
Either party may appeal an award through the JAMS Optional Arbitration Appeal Procedure. If either party refuses to perform any or all of its obligations under the final arbitration award (following appeal, if applicable) within thirty (30) days of such award being rendered, then the other party may enforce the final award in any court of competent jurisdiction in Los Angeles County. The party seeking enforcement shall be entitled to an award of all costs, fees and expenses, including reasonable attorneys’ fees, incurred in enforcing the award, to be paid by the party against whom enforcement is ordered.
Notwithstanding the foregoing, the parties agree that nothing in this arbitration provision will be deemed to waive, preclude, or otherwise limit Your, Advertiser’s, or Hulu’s rights, at any time, to bring an individual action seeking only temporary or preliminary individualized injunctive relief in a court of law, pending a final ruling from an arbitrator.
- Governing Law. These Ad Manager Terms are governed by, and should be construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of California without regard to conflicts of law doctrines. To the extent that the arbitration provision outlined above is not applicable (e.g., when confirming an arbitration award), the parties agree to submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts located in the Los Angeles County of the State of California.
- Entire Agreement. These Ad Manager Terms, and if applicable the Hulu Ad Manager Beta Terms, are the parties’ entire agreement relating to their subject and supersede any prior or contemporaneous agreements on that subject. Unless otherwise explicitly agreed to in writing, no other terms will apply to Advertiser’s use of the Ad Manager Tool or the delivery of its Ad(s) on the Hulu website or application.
- Notices. Notices to Hulu under these Ad Manager Terms must be in writing and sent (a) if to Hulu, to Hulu, LLC, 2500 Broadway, 2nd Floor, Santa Monica, California 90404, Attn: General Counsel; and (b) if to Advertiser, to the email address or street address provided via the Ad Manager Tool.
- No Waiver. Neither party will be deemed to have waived any rights by not exercising or delaying exercising rights under these Ad Manager Terms. No waiver of any breach of these Ad Manager Terms shall be construed to be, or shall be, a waiver of any other breach of these Ad Manager Terms. No waiver shall be binding unless in writing and signed by the party waiving the breach.
- Severability. If any provision of these Ad Manager Terms or the application of any such provision is determined to be invalid, illegal or unenforceable, the remaining provisions shall remain in full force and effect, without regard to the invalidity of the provision, and these Ad Manager Terms shall be construed as if the provision had never been in these Ad Manager Terms.
- Assignment. Advertiser may not assign or transfer any rights, or delegate any duties, under these Ad Manager Terms without Hulu’s prior written consent, and any attempted assignment, transfer or delegation without such consent shall be void. Hulu can assign or otherwise transfer Hulu’s rights under these Ad Manager Terms without Advertiser consent.
- Third Party Beneficiaries. There are no third-party beneficiaries to the Ad Manager Terms.
- No Agency. These Ad Manager Terms do not establish any agency, partnership, or joint venture between Advertiser and Hulu.
- Force Majeure. Except for payment obligations, no party or its affiliates is liable for inadequate performance to the extent caused by a condition that was beyond its reasonable control.
- Communication. Advertiser agrees to receive communications from Hulu via e-mail, regular mail, or postings on the Ad Manager Tool, including communications regarding Advertiser’s account, campaign or Ad(s).
- Feedback. Hulu may, at its sole discretion, provide the opportunity to evaluate the Ad Manager Tool, including the opportunity to submit bug reports, evaluations, or proposed modifications (“Feedback”). In the event that Feedback is provided to Hulu, Hulu will be free to incorporate and otherwise use and exploit the Feedback, with no obligation of any kind.